+

History

Links

x

Monday, January 23, 2006

Just got Jay Chou's EP



It costs me $22.

The first thing you will notice after you popped the DVD in is the clear and superior visual quality. People say there's no difference between DVD and VCD. But these people need their eyes checked by SP's Optometry students.

However, I was quite disappointed by the absence of DD 5.1 (or DTS). It's only 2 channel output. Sad to say but the album's sound quality is so much better. The sound on the DVD falters at times. One moment the sound is so loud and clear, and the next moment the sound becomes muffled and it's quite frustrating. That's the only way I know how to describe it because I'm not a audiophile.

As always, the MVs production values are top-notched. But some MVs are crap.

Examples are - Black Sweater (reminds me of oldies where the MVs have got zero storyline, but perhaps Jay Chou's trying something simple) and Blue Storm.

Huo Yuan Jia's MV is really good. The song's obvious likenesses to Blue Storm was perhaps saved by it. I like Ni Lin's dark setting, and it reminds me of Tong Yi Zhong Diao Diao (A different kind of tune).

Then there's this footage of Jay Chou's concert in Hong Kong. There's a segment I like where he performed a classical piano piece with Yu Hao. I need to attend his concert one of these days.

In this EP, there's a live track of Jay Chou singing a Cantonese song. I don't know Cantonese so I can't comment much. But from what I have gathered, he doesn't mumble when singing in Cantonese. It makes perfect sense because you have to learn to speak clearly before you can mumble. In this case, Jay Chou is a Hokkien boy, and he's only started learning Cantonese.

The Cantonese track is a song written by Jay Chou for Jordan Chan (陈小春). Please don't be surprised. Jay Chou even wrote a song for Wang Lee Hom once. So next time don't feel sicked of Jay Chou, because you could be listening to a wonderful Chinese pop track composed by a person you dislike.


Posted by TheLast |


« Home | Man Utd 1 - 0 Liverpool » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © Nothing Important Happened Today 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger