+

History

Links

x

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Goodbye my friend

They say 2 things are certain in life - Death, and Taxes.

I've been to several funerals in my short lifetime. The first was the passing of my Great Grandmother.

I was younger then, and I remember it was just days after the new Millenium. I was back from holiday and so I called my family at the airport, only to receive news of her passing by my cousin. I went to Malacca to attend her funeral, and that, was the first time I saw a coffin in real life. Young as I was, I saw a glimpse of what was ahead of me. Aunties and cousins were crying, and it has such a weird and creepy atmosphere to it. Naturally, I was sad of her passing, but I didn't cry.

The second time, was my Grandfather's. It was again, in Malacca. Though older, I was again shocked and taken back at the prospect of a funeral. I didn't cry again, but I was really sad. My Grandfather had played chess with me, bought me Mee Pok, and talked to me when he had time to come to Singapore and visit my Grandmother. Even when I saw with my own eyes my Grandfather's coffin being pushed into that burning chamber of sorts, I didn't cry.

This time, it wasn't someone related to me by blood. He was a friend, and a classmate. Though we never talked much, but we had respect for one another, and we knew each other's existence. The news of his death came as a shock to me, I shouted out 'Fuck!' when my friend broke the news to me. I then took a moment of silence, and I recollected our moments together.

On Saturday, my gang went to his wake. After the 3 bows, I walked towards the coffin and stood beside my friend. In my heart, I said "Take care, friend.", followed by the longest minute of silence. Looking at him, I couldn't believe it was happening, and I just keep telling myself that it was all a bad dream. But it was real, he's gone, forever. I regret that I never get to know him as much as I can.

The death of my friend has the biggest impact on me, because he was someone close to me at the time of his passing. Only the other day did I saw him laughing and joking around, and now, he's just gone.

Goodbye my friend, I will never forget you.


Posted by TheLast |


« Home | I am feeling so sad and down now » //-->





Add a comment:

Name
Website   Html allowed : <a>, <b>, <i>

 


 © Nothing Important Happened Today 2005 - Powered by Blogger Templates for Blogger